Saturday, May 2, 2015

INFJ Business Trip Survival

I just got back from a business trip out to LA. I traveled with two of my colleagues, met with and worked multiple days in a row with seven people who work for my client, and managed to not withdrawal from society until I got home. I'm feeling inordinately proud of myself.

As an INFJ, I find spending an extended period of time with people completely exhausting. Luckily, the colleagues I traveled with I've known for years and love them dearly. They are so much fun to be around and though it is draining to maintain my bubbly social persona, they know me well enough to expect odd conversations and observations of random shit to come out of my mouth at any given time. Without the pressure maintaining small talk and avoiding interesting topics, well, I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I survived this trip.

The client I work with has some really interesting people that work with my team and I. They are all pretty nerdy (and I mean that in the absolutely most positive way possible) and are very into data analysis and developing marketing strategy. Needless to say...we had some fascinating conversations.

Ever since I discovered MB personality typing, I try to determine what types people are that I meet. I definitely think my two colleagues are ISFJ and  ENTP. My client's people are all INFP and ISTP. I think marketing attracts IN functions - I know and work with so many of them. Probably the ability to spot trends and grasping the bigger picture. The Ni function can be pretty damn useful!

There were a few instances during my meetings and training sessions that I must have been wearing the INFJ stare because a couple of the presenters avoided eye contact with me. It happens a lot - I always look people in the eyes, even though some people become uncomfortable. I just can't help it. If you are speaking to me or an audience that includes me, I'm going to make eye contact because I'm looking at you and listening to what you are saying.

After learning more about how my mind operates, I feel like I've been able to bolster my strengths and begin to understand better modes of communicating with people that I've had issues working with in the past. It has been hugely helpful. I didn't feel awkward or nervous when meeting with all of these people either...such a relief!

I have made huge strides in how I deal with these types of situations...not all trips have been as good as this one. I want to keep improving!

The reason I wrote this post was because I saw the picture below online. First, it cracked me up. Then, it got me thinking about the personae we wear to adapt to different situations and what each persona obscures.



I don't know where the picture originated but I found it here: https://thegusmay.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/infj-compicaded.jpg



How do you handle traveling for business?




   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Let's hear it!