Sunday, May 24, 2015

Beauty

Beauty is the essence of life. I'm not talking about celebrities or models. No, I'm talking about the striking beauty of moments - snapshots of life that bloom and thrive as they are experienced.

Beauty is defined by perception. We form our reality based on our perception of the world around us by sensing and processing that sensory input. Everyone's reality is totally unique because different experiences and synapse connections in peoples' brains add color and shadow to how we process our world. Everyone's perception of beauty is also unique. Everyone has heard, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Well, it's true. You could take it a step further and say, "Reality is in the eye of the beholder." The point is experience is all about perception.

What fascinates me, as an aesthetic, is that beauty isn't passive. There is a whole rabbit hole of quantum mechanics that explores the very real possibility that nothing exists as we know it until it is observed. My theory is the same for beauty. We create moments of beauty by mindfully observing them. In order to see beauty, we must look for it. I don't mean we leave our house in the morning saying, "Hey I'm going to go hunt for some beauty." What I mean is that we have to be present because beauty exists in a moment. If we aren't paying attention - meaning we aren't in this present moment aware of our surroundings - we cannot perceive beauty.

Being present is awareness existing from moment to moment. If we aren't aware of each moment, are we really alive? Is there a point to living if we are not aware of the present moment? Appreciating the present is recognizing and appreciating beauty. Aesthetics forces one to always be present as one is always appreciating beauty.

While I recognize the importance of beauty, I don't know what to do with the experience. Beauty is transformative in that it shifts your entire focus to the current moment and, for that moment at least, you are not thinking about anything else. Beauty is a mental health tonic. It clears your mind for a moment and if you allow it to...it can clear your mind for a lot longer. You see, the more willing you are to see beauty in the world around you, the more of it you are likely to see. That works in the reverse as well - if your mind is so focused on your problems or the horrid events that happen every day, you are less and less able to see the beauty of the world. The less you live in the present, the less beauty you are likely to see.

Because of the obvious benefits of seeing and appreciating beauty, I want to share everything beautiful I see with the world, in the slightest off chance someone struggling with their life sees it and gains some perspective that eases their mind, making their day even a tiny bit better.

My problem is...how to share this ethereal moment?

I'm not a great painter but I try.
I'm not a great artist but I try.
I'm not a great writer but I try.

People look at me weird when I suddenly go all hazy-eyed and point out how striking that peony looks highlighted by a ray of sunshine peaking through the trees - I've learned that the hard way over the years - so how can I do this? How?

This is my struggle with beauty. This post brought to you by: the woods behind my house.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Let's hear it!